Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Coffee, Tea or Me??

You know, it's the little things in life that can make all the difference. A tiny little detail can sometimes make or break your day. Like Tim Horton's Green Tea, for example.

I drink it every day. Ever since I had to stop drinking coffee, it has made for a worthwhile replacement. It's nice, refreshing, has a bit of a caffeine kick, and I can leave the bag in it for hours without worrying about it getting too strong. Needless to say, I like my Green Tea.

Now imagine getting said tea from the drive thru, driving away and waiting 10 minutes or so for it cool down, opening the lid and getting a nice mouth full of PEPPERMINT. Ewww. It happens to me all the time. You see, the brilliant Tim Horton's marketing department decided to put them both in green boxes. Not only that but one is just a few shades lighter than the other. So at first glance, you cannot tell which is which. And during a rush, it is very easy to make the mistake. It's also very easy to make the mistake when you're getting paid $5.25 an hour (or whatever it is). They also made the Orange Pekoe and Apple Cinnamon tea boxes almost the exact same orange, and the Lemon and Chamomile teas almost the same yellow.

The shit really hit the fan last Thursday. It was nearing the end of the day and I figured I'd get a tea for the drive home. So I walked to Tim's, bought it and came back. Of course I didn't open it until I was ready to leave, and got yet another mouthful of peppermint. Eww. I'd finally had enough, went back to my desk, and fired off an email to Tim Horton's customer service bitching about constantly receiving the wrong product and wasting money. $1.29 per cup might seem trivial, but I've probably thrown out almost 20 of them - that's $25.80.

Monday I received an email back from them apologizing for the mistakes, and that they'd be forwarding my message to the marketing dept. Today I also called the customer service line, just to get my point across. The woman advised me that she would be sending another note to them. I've also resolved myself to emailing them each and every time it happens for this point on.

Who knows, they may just change the packaging. It'll be interesting to see how far a mouthy bitch like me can get.