Monday, April 16, 2007

3 Years

Today marks the 3 year anniversary of when Q and I "officially" got together. We were friends, then roommates before that, and everyone saw it coming - even my boyfriend at the time. It's been a whirlwind of craziness, but in a good way.

When you talk with people who have been together forever, they sometimes talk about the moment when they just knew that "this was it." Before I never understood how someone could just arbitrarily decide that one particular person was going to be their partner for life. Now I know what they are talking about. Up until I met Q, I was just going through life figuring that I'd be with whoever was convenient at the time, and that the relationship would just eventually end and I'd move on to another. The thought of being with someone forever was unfathomable.

However, after a short few months with Q, things were completely different. I started thinking about us and the future. And I knew - without a doubt - that he was the person who I wanted to spend every waking moment with (but not in that clingy way - I still cherish my independence). I'd even like to get married one day.

He's unbelievably kind, generous, supporting and understanding. In return he makes me want to be a better man. There's something to be said for that.

We have our ups and downs like anyone, but more ups than downs, which is nice for a change. We've both been through rough times with other people, and as a result when we do disagree we have never resorted to yelling, name calling, saying cruel things out spite, violence or anything like that. If I ever got to that level I'd simply walk out and spend some time alone until I calmed down. No one deserves that - ever - and I won't let it happen again. Thankfully those moments are few and far between. We both prefer to listen and discuss, rather than argue. It takes more effort, but reaps bigger rewards.

I'm just looking ahead to more fun times in the future - and maybe a ring goddammit. It's getting about time. I know that I could just as easily ask him, rather than wait for him to ask me, but I just want him to do it. Don't know why. Guess I'm just a big ol' girl after all.