Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Reality Check

As you all know, Q and I have been going to Gay Camp this summer. It's in Simcoe, a small town not too far away from Hamilton. We just spent a great weekend there, but today I was dealt some disturbing news:

On Sunday evening a truck with a couple of (presumably) straight guys drinking beer in it entered the campgrounds and started racing around. They were driving very fast (could have easily hit someone) and doing donuts all over the lawns - including in the memorial gardens that had just been landscaped. They also began shouting out slurs, asking people if they had big cocks, etc and generally making asses of themselves. While they were screwing around, someone closed the gate on them, so they drove over and broke a couple of fence posts to get out. A camper then called the police to report trespassing, reckless driving, drunk driving, abuse, anti-gay threats and property damage. They were even able to provide a description of the truck and the license plate.

24 hours later, the police still haven't shown up.

I'm not one to sit back and let insults like this pass me by. As soon as I have all the details, I'm going to contact the head of that police department and lodge a formal complaint. Depending on the response I get, I'll go even higher - and have the means to do so. I can accept the fact that shitheads get drunk and harass fags because they can't deal with their own sexuality. I cannot, and will not, accept being treated as a second class citizen by the police - no matter how small the town. They have a duty to uphold my basic human rights and can be called on it when they don't. Not only do I have a vested interest in the people there, I also have property there that is vulnerable to this kind of attack.

Bring it on bitches. Bring it on.