Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Decorating

We've been in the new house for over a year and up until last night, my walls were pretty much bare. With all the nice, new drywall everywhere I've been hesitant to put any holes in it. It's silly I know, but when you pay a shitload of money for renovations, you're not too keen on putting holes in walls.

Last night I finally took the plunge and decided to hang a couple of panels on either side of the bay window in the living room. Seeing as I have trouble with depth perception and lining things up at times, I decided that putting the first hook at the top left corner of the window was a good idea. It was square, and more importantly a good reference point so I could put the other hook in the same spot on the other side of the window and they would be (more or less) even .

So I took the drill and proceeded to make the first hole, which resulted in a huge chunk of plaster (or drywall mud or whatever the fuck it was) coming loose and falling at my feet. It was then that I discovered that that particular portion of the wall was not made of drywall in any way, shape or form. So after much swearing and muttering, I moved the bracket and tried again, with success this time. I also arranged it in such a way so that the panel hid the ever so slight huge imperfection I had caused. After that I figured "what the hell" and proceeded to go around the house and start putting up all the things I had purchased but had never gotten around to hanging. I'm happy with the results.

It's kind of like getting that first scratch on your new car. The subsequent marks and dings don't seem so bad afterwards.