Thursday, September 20, 2007

I'm keeping both ears for now.

I did something today which I haven't done for a very long time. I pulled out my box of paints and brushes and actually painted. I'm not any good mind you, but it was awfully therapeutic. I decided to paint music, if that makes any sense. When I listen to music I often visualize the sounds in my head, and so I decided to try putting it down on paper - so to speak.

For my first attempt I selected Attached by Orbital, from their Snivilisation album. I've always liked this track as it slowly builds and builds until it's full of multi layered goodness. Then it deconstructs just as slowly. Just over 12 minutes in total. I played it twice as I painted, not even noticing that almost half an hour had gone by. The end result is multi layered canvas of brush strokes and colours.

My second piece was created while listening to Bachelorette by Bjork. It came out much different - sparse and earthy and slightly cartoony. Not too much of a surprise there.

I didn't end up with any masterpieces that could be hung in a church, but I did feel better afterwards. I'd been feeling very blah all day, and this released the tension.

You know, I never thought I'd hear myself mutter "No, that sound is definitely not yellow." I'm sure some of you out there will know what I mean.