Thursday, May 12, 2005

I've tempted fate

Today I brought my Super 7 lotto ticket in to the local gas station to see if I'd won anything. The man put the slip in the machine and it played it's little tune. Turns out I made $10 on a $9 investment. So I decided to play again - only the attendant gave me a Lotto 649 instead. I wanted to win 25 million and not a measly 21 million (that could mean the difference of thousands of square feet in my new home), so I promptly informed him of his mistake and got him to give me the Super 7. He decided to buy the 649.

After walking out of the store, I realized that I'd created a potential dilemma. What if fate was intervening and the 649 ticket was the winning one? What if I see a news report on Saturday with this guy talking about how the ticket was a mistake and the poor sap gave it back so he decided to buy it and now he's got 21 million dollars? I could never show my face there again.

On the other hand, what if I had taken the 649? Then I'd forever be wondering if I might have had Super 7 winning numbers.

Or maybe I was supposed to buy both and win both and become 46 million dollars richer?? AARRGGGHH!!!

Oh fate, why dost thou mock me so?