Sunday, December 25, 2005

So far so good.

Ok, so my holidays haven't been as bad as I was dreading. Had a nice time yesterday with my side of the family. Kids were pretty well behaved, and I just steered clear of most of them anyways, except the ones I liked. It was so cute, my grandmother knitted me a pair of slippers. I haven't had those since I was a kid. She even gave me a second pair for Q.

I was horsing around with my cousin after dinner. She was wearing a full length skirt which had a slit in the bottom that I kept sticking my foot in just to piss her off. She turned around and said "Get out of my skirt!" and then proceed to say in front of my father "Bet you don't hear that too often huh?" I was thinking it, she said it. My poor dad. He probably just pretended that he hadn't heard a thing. My parents have never treated me different since coming out, and they absolutely love Q, but it's just one of those things that is never discussed. I thought it was hilarious.

After dinner we went back to my sister's and did our gift exchange since I wasn't coming back down again today. I totally spoiled my niece Jessica. One of the things I got her was a whole bunch of plastic food (for the kitchen set she would be getting later) and a toy microwave. She just loved it. She played with it all night. Putting food in, pushing the buttons, watching the food turn for a few seconds and then beeping when it was done. So cute cute cute.

I did have an odd moment though when it seemed like things came full circle. When I was a kid I used to secretly love playing with Barbies. I'd play with my sister's when i could, and also whenever I played with my cousin. So last night Jessica opened a gift (not from me) and it was the Mary Kate and Oshley Olsen dolls. She then proceeded to sit on the couch with me and wanted me to help her dress and undress the dolls. Oh, so now it's ok for me to play with dolls, but it wasn't back then. One thing about those goddamn dolls though is that the clothes are skin tight. It was very hard for me to get the pants on and off - insert jokes here -, I can't imagine how a 3 year old could do it. What a gay uncle.

And yes, my mother loved the Kitchen Aid mixer I picked out for her and my dad loved the chainsaw that my sister and husband picked out for him. It's a gay stereotype Christmas!