Monday, August 20, 2007

Field of Dreams

My friend Shannon and I refer to each other as Fetus Friends. We quite honestly can't remember a time when we didn't know each other. Growing up I spent a lot of time at her house - especially in the summer with her having a pool and all. I'm pretty much family and am affectionately known as the surrogate little brother to her two older sisters. Her family has an annual field party, which was this past weekend, and of course I'm always invited. It's always a treat to bring Q with me - and this year, as a bonus, we got to try out the new trailer. What better way to inaugurate our becoming trailer trash, than with a field party?

Shannon and I grew up in the country. Our families are country folk. Always have been and always will be. I think it's safe to say that we both have some questionable branches on our family tree - some that don't branch out quite enough, or are slightly cracked, or just plain broken. The offshoots of those limbs were there on Saturday. We got to hear words like "shooken" and "ain't" and "You got a stick? My beer fell in the fire and I gotta get it out."

But the best part of the weekend was getting to spend time with Rowan, Shannon's 18 month old daughter. She's just absolutely the most cutest thing ever and took a real shining to me. Yet another one to spoil.