Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Melancholy and the Infinite Blandness

Do you ever have one of those days when you stop, take a good look around you and think "Is this it? Is this what life is all about?" You see people working meaningless jobs, pushing meaningless pencils, typing meaningless memos, answering meaningless phones and having the most inane conversations about nothing. What's the point and how is that truly living?

It's times like this that I want to quit my job, hovel myself up in my apartment for a few weeks and just go crazy creating new pieces of art. It's only when I'm working on a piece that I really feel. These emotions get channeled through the camera lens, into a digital file and appear in front of me on a computer screen. But they're not done yet. They're obscured and muted due to the fact that a camera can only capture reality. It's only after peeling away the layers of normalcy that what I was truly feeling comes through.

If I had the space and money, I'd create huge loft-sized pieces to really get it all out. And I'd make sure they were seen by everyone. But I can't right now. So things stay confined. Not in me, but in a convenient array of 1's and 0's on a harddrive.

UPDATE
I guess what I was getting at in my rant is I'm bored with my day to day routine. I want to do something. I want to create something. And I want it to affect a lot of people's lives (in a good way)!!!!