Thursday, January 12, 2006

(Not So) Silent Night

A few months ago some new neighbours moved in across the hall. They are a young couple (guy and girl) who like to have the odd party on a Saturday night, but are really no trouble at all. At least they weren't a lot of trouble before their love life started falling apart.

Now we get to listen to them fight and yell at each other every few weeks. And it's really stupid too. Yelling things like "I thought you loved me!!" and "Why don't you listen to me??!!" and "You're such a fucking asshole." I've never heard them have an argument about anything with substance.

Then last night at around 11:30 they started again. Only this time it was worse. Their fight spilled out into the hallway where they were yelling and screaming at each other. Then she locked him out of the apartment and he sat at the door whimpering "now you've locked me out of my own apartment, how could you do that?" whimper whimper sob sob. Then she opened the door and the screaming began all over again.

At one point this guy was really starting to lose control. He just began screaming and groaning over and over again (and not in a sexual way) and it sounded like he was revving up to cause some serious damage to someone. Of course then he started the dramatics again with the scream-as-loud-as-you-possibly-can "Your killing me!!! you're killing me!!! I thought you loved me, but you're killing me!!!".

What a fucking drama queen.

What started to concern me most was the level of escalating hysteria I was hearing. I'm all too familiar with that thanks to The Walrus and Psycho. This man was approaching Psycho levels and that was making me very uncomfortable. That's a place that I never want to go back to again, and this was starting to bring it all back. After about an hour of this we were so pissed off that Q finally called the police. Four of them showed up very quickly (we watched them come in on the lobby channel). Then we heard the knock on Mr & Mrs Drama Queen's door.

Silence.

They knocked again with a forceful (and kinda sexy) "Open the door!!"

Silence again.

The third time was met with a "This is the police, open the door!" That got their attention.

After 10 minutes or so, the police left and we didn't hear another peep for the rest of the night. I'm hoping they got the hint.

Some people may read this and think "oh that poor girl", but I really have no sympathy. We don't get to hear much of her side of the arguments because she doesn't scream as much, but I get the feeling that she isn't Miss Innocent either. Besides, having been in those situations in the past myself, I just don't have the patience anymore. Either break up, seek counseling, or just shut the fuck up and save us all the trouble.