Wednesday, July 26, 2006

I'd have a blinking hand if I was in this movie right now.

I started watching Logan's Run last night. I didn't get to finish it because Q came home (he can't stand these types of films) but am eagerly awaiting the conclusion tonight. I found it in the bargain bin at Future Shop for $3.99 and I have to say it's worth every penny. I've always wanted to see it, so how could I pass it up??

It takes place in a futuristic city where everyone lives happily until they reach the ripe old age of 30. At that time they have to go to Carousel where they float up (with the help of wires) to a disco ball crystal in the ceiling until they explode, which they believe allows them to be "renewed." Logan's a Sandman who kills people who try to escape. He's given a special, secret, mission. His time is up (the red crystal on his hand is blinking) and he's sent to find all the people who've escaped (a.k.a "runners"), join them and then destroy them. Isn't that exciting?

The special effects are awesome, for 1976. Why George Lucas wasted money on developing his own ground breaking effects for Star Wars when he could have just used cheap toy models, firecrackers, strings and poorly drawn lasers I'll never know. I couldn't tell at all. The dialogue and acting are god-awful fantastic. Who knew that Farrah Fawcet was such a great actress?? I actually believed that she was a ditsy blonde during her Oscar-deserving performance.


And check out this Robot:

There's no way that I would ever have guessed that they grabbed dryer vent hose and McDonalds' drink cups (with the bottoms cut out), painted them silver, duct taped it all together and used it for arms, ever. Domo Arigato Mr. Roboto?

Finally, check out the cover art (click for larger picture):


I love this type of artwork which was popular in the 70's and early 80's. I used to think it was hideously ugly (which it is) but there's something about it that I like (probably that it's hideously ugly). There's a rainbow, ice people kissing, a robot, a woman walking through a wall, sexy lady with swirlies, Farrah looking like meth/crack/heroine junkie, people floating above a giant red crystal and so much more! It just makes you want to see the movie, doesn't it?