Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Home Sweet Home

I was bored so I looked up my hometown of Port Hope in Wikipedia. Here's what I found.

""Ganaraska" was the name attributed to the area by the natives of the region and is the name of the river that flows through the town. The name originates from "Ganaraske", the name for the Iroquois village which was located at the current townsite."

The Ganaraska Hotel is the name of a bar/"hotel" downtown that features Recycled Beer on it's menu.

"Port Hope is celebrated as having the best preserved 19th century streetscape in Ontario."

That's because the economy was so dead for so long.

"Downtown Port Hope is well-known as a shopping destination for antiques and other specialty items."

You wouldn't believe the number of retired faggy old men that live there now and run antique stores whose prices rival anything you could find in Toronto.

"Unfortunately, Port hope may be the most uranium contaminated community in Canada, next to Blind River. Port Hope's uranium refinery produced the uranium used in the nuclear bombs dropped on Japan in WWII."

On the east side of the plant is the harbour. On the west side is the Water Treatment Plant and beside that, a public beach. These are all right beside each other. It must explain the constant proliferation of mullets. But don't worry, it's perfectly safe. However it makes me wonder why I've never needed a nightlight. I just have my own green glow that surrounds me when it's dark. Doesn't everyone?