Monday, October 23, 2006

Kick Ass Radio

I recently came across a new Internet radio station at www.pandora.com. What sets this one apart from any other is that they have created what they call the Music Genome Project. Essentially what they've done over the past 6 years (and continue to do) is create a sort of DNA for music. Each song is not only defined by genre, but by influences, instrument, tempo, singing etc. I think that there's over a hundred attributes for every piece of music in their database.

So what you do is type in an artist or song that you like and it creates a radio station based on the attributes of your selection. When a song plays you can either tell it that you like it or not, and over time it will fine tune the station to your liking. They've got a great selection too - I heard tracks that I wouldn't expect any station to have. The sound quality is excellent too. Had it hooked into my stereo and playing all weekend.