Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Could've used a little sugar coating

Saturday night was spent running around the house trying to get ready for Vanessa's party. We had to make a fruit tray and a veggie tray to bring, and as usual we were running behind schedule. Consequently I was in work mode and my brain began dissecting our tasks into smaller ones so I could make sense of what we needed to do before getting out of the house. It's a method I learned from all my years of programming - take what you want to do and break it down into multiple tasks. Break those tasks down and repeat until you're down to the basics, then work your way back up completing all those small tasks and next thing you know, you're done. Or something like that.

Anyways, the day before, Q had purchased something from A&F which I hadn't seen yet and had completely forgotten about. So Saturday night I was in "the mode" and furiously ironing a shirt to wear. Q comes down the stairs all excited and says "what do you think of my shirt?" Then I, not realizing it's his new one, spewed forth:

It's all wrinkled and looks like it's been rolled up into a ball and shoved under the bed for a month.
It's misshapen.
The sleeves are too long.
And the horizontal strip running across your stomach is in a very unfortunate spot.

And I went back to ironing. 10 seconds later it hit me. That wasn't an old shirt from the back of the closet (which it looks like, it's that paid - for - frayed type of shirt), but his new one he was so proud of that he wouldn't let me see until it was time to debut. The look on his face confirmed. I felt really bad and apologized. And I still feel bad. Unfortunately he just caught me in one of those moments where I'm too busy to think before opening my mouth. Instead of thinking it through first, it all came out just as it appeared in my head. In a better moment I still would have told him what I thought, but would have been way more gentle in the approach.

Moral of the story - don't ask me unless you really want to know. I don't tell people what they want to hear. If you're asking, then it's my belief that you're actually interested in my opinion and I'll give it to you.