Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Las Vegas on the 'Tube

When we went to Vegas a few years ago (I can't believe it's already been that long), I brought along a new camera I'd purchased from Ebay. It's this 3D camera contraption from the 80's. It has four lenses, all at slightly different angles, and when you spend the extra money to send the film to the camera company for processing, they layer the images together and it creates a 3D photo that's hard to look at for prolonged periods of time without getting a headache.

Well I had no such intention, and even if I did the company and technology's long gone. I did think that it would make for an interesting art project at some time. So I took the photos, got them developed and have been sitting on them ever since. Nothing I ever tried worked - until now.

I just ran them through iMovie and discovered that they create this weird 3D animation effect. You can't really tell from the compressed video, but it looked really cool on my computer. I burned it to DVD and looked pretty neat there too. I sense yet another project brewing.

Have I mentioned that I fucking love having a mac?




As a footnote, here's how I made it:

Created an album of the pictures I wanted to use in iPhoto.
Opened iMovie, clicked on Media, then Photos, and was then able to view my iPhoto albums.
Selected pictures, dragged and dropped into the media tray.
Set the amount of time each should be shown.
Previewed movie.
Clicked on Share, then selected Web as the format.
Named the file and hit Save. Movie rendered and done. Uploaded to YouTube.
Want to put it on DVD? Click share, then iDVD.
Movie is rendered and iDVD opens.
Select the opening menu you want, edit it as you desire, stick in a blank DVD and hit Burn.
Done.

Try that on a PC and see how long it takes you. It's hell.