Tuesday, January 02, 2007

New Year's Thoughts

Blech. I'm still sick. This Orwellian Cold (I don't know what that's supposed to mean exactly, but it sounded good) just won't go away. Now I've given it to Q. Consequently we stayed in on New Year's, opened a bottle of wine, snacked on a tray composed of melon balls, prosciutto, parmesan cubes; baguette crisps; bruscetta and baked chevre (Yuppie anyone?), and watched Down With Love - a campy romantic comedy, done in a very 60's style, starring Renee Zellweger and Ewen McGregor. It's one of my favourite movies, if for nothing more than the fabulous, colourful outfits and sets. I don't mind Renee Zellweger, but a friend of mine can't stand watching anything she's in. As she puts it "her face always looks like she just smelled poo." I can't argue that.

While I'm loving my new espresso machine, I've also discovered that the frothing attachment makes the best hot chocolate. It's the best of both worlds really.

I had a brain fart this morning that I have to write down before I forget. I think I know how I want to display You Never Knew once it's all finished. I'm thinking of reworking the images slightly and making each of them look like individual panels of a comic. When they're displayed, they will be grouped together in such a way as to make it look like blown up pages of a comic on the wall. It's just an idea at this point, I'll have to play with them to know for sure. A lot can be read into the comic book metaphor though - the association with children, how abuse victims can be accused of making up a story, how an episode (or episodes) of abuse can seem surreal, etc etc. I think it might just work. At the very least it will give me that much more bullshit to sell to a gallery. They love bullshit.