Sunday, January 16, 2005

I'm no fun anymore

I don't like to go out anymore. Bars bore me and clubs play shit circuit music that I don't like. A club isn't fun if it requires some sort of enhancement to make you have a good time.

I've been going to the same bars for 10 years now, and I kind of find it depressing to go and see the same people over and over again. What's worse is when I go and don't recognize a single person.

I think what I am suffering from is a case of growing up. I don't want accquaintances who promise that they'll call me when I pass them by on the street. I want true friends. I prefer to surround myself with a small number of people who I can trust, can rely on, and who add something positive to my life.

I went through a period when I had lots of "friends" who I partied with. They were great on weekends, but did I ever call any of them up when I felt blue, or had some serious problems, or did they ever call unless there was an event to go to? No.

True friends are few and far between. I've weeded out a lot of people in the past couple of years and what I am left with is a small group of individuals who have seen me at my best, and most importantly at my worst. They call me when they feel blue, I call them if I have a problem, but most of the time we just hang out and have fun. I turst them completely and would do anything to help them, and I know they'd do the same.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy going out for a drink. But I'd rather go somewhere and sit down around a table, laugh and shoot the shit. It beats standing around and getting your drink spilt all over your shirt because you keep getting bumped. Bumped by the same person who's been running into your elbow for the past 10 years.