Thursday, August 31, 2006

Some call me, Tim?

Spamalot was fantastic. Just as good or better than I'd heard. Go. See. It. Now.

The actors looked like they were having a great time on stage, which just added to excitement (and since we had 4th row center seats it was easy to tell). At one point the Knight of Ni screwed up his lines and started ad-libbing to try make sense of what he'd just said. Instead he just dug himself in further, but kept on going straight faced, making almost everyone else up on stage crack and start laughing. It ended up being one of the funniest parts of the show and got a huge applause. The sign of a true professional.

I didn't have any pre-conceived notions of the plot, or what changes they'd made from the movie. I did this on purpose so that I wouldn't have anything spoiled or be disappointed - and I was far from it. It's a fantastic adaptation.

And while the Toronto cast was excellent, I would have given almost anything to see the Broadway show with Tim Curry, Hank Azaria and David Hyde Pierce. I don't think anyone could top Tim Curry as King Arthur.

What's he do? Nibble your bum?