Thursday, September 14, 2006

I didn't get tickets for Scissor Sisters

And after getting my hands on their new album, "Ta-Dah", I'm glad I opted out. While I liked the blend of Elton John/Bee Gees on the first album, the addition of relentless honky tonk piano, banjos and an overall vaudeville flair is just too much the second time around. As I was listening to it on my way to work this morning, I was left picturing Mary Pickford, with her hair cut in a 20's bob, wearing fishnets and tassels, dancing across a stage with Betty Boop. Seriously. Then, as I was listening to "I Can't Decide", it reminded me of some other song that I hadn't heard in years. It took a few minutes before reaching the surface of my brain:

Some day we'll find it, the Rainbow Connection.
The lovers, the dreamers and me.
La, la la, La, la la la, La Laa, la la, La, La la laaaaaaa

The Muppet Movie. I'm listening to Scissor Sisters and all I can think of is Kermit sitting on a tree stump in the friggin' Muppet Movie.

Don't get me wrong, there are some OK songs on the album (but nothing stellar), and it does move to disco/Sheena Easton inspired tracks as you get further into it, but overall it's a let down compared to their first. I guess there's just too much pressure after your debut album is a smash success.