Friday, March 04, 2005

SNAP!

So last night was the annual SNAP! fundraiser for the Aids Committe of Toronto. It's a photo competition/auction that anyone can enter. Amateurs enter the competition part, which is followed by a silent auction. Other "established" artists donate work which gets auctioned off live.

I was pretty happy that both submissions made it into the auction. They only had room for about half of the 400+ entries, and I got in. I entered "Through the Drinking Glass" which is here on the website, and "Cruisin' in Memphis" which is here. Both photos were matted and the bidding started at $25.00. Last I saw, the first was going for $80.00 and the other for $100.00. Not bad at all! The 2 I entered last year went for around $40 and $75.

Before I go any further, I should explain something. All of the subject matter in my work are toys. Usually action figures that I had growing up, or that I've accumulated from yard sales, ebay etc. When I entered last year, it was great because my work was like nothing else there. It really stood out.

This year I was dismayed to find 3 other artists using toys as well! That annoyed me. The work was really good. That annoyed me even more. And one of the photos used an old-school GI JOE which really pissed me off, since that is the basis of my next series of photos. ARRRGGHH!!

It was even to the point that people I knew there initially thought that some of the other work was mine. I've always had people tell me that they find my work to be very unique. I guess that can only last for so long. If I can think of it, then I guess someone else can too.

But I've decided that I will take credit for being the pioneer of this current trend. It's so flattering to have all of these people copying my idea! Lights! Camera! Guest List!

Oh, and Wallpaper, I think that I will be able to fit you in for an introspective interview three weeks from Thursday.

There. Now I feel better.