Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Are You All Alone? (I'm into you)

I sat back today and took a good, long look at my Mirrorball collection. It shocked me. There is such an extreme sense of solitude, isolation and desperation in every single picture. It's not unfounded, but a little jarring to have it staring me right in the face.

  • Mirrorball - a lost soul.
  • Answerphone - a person with no head, and therefore no voice (in every sense of the word) holding a phone, wanting and waiting desparately to talk to someone. Even though there are 4 people, one is still alone.
  • Driving - almost intolerable loneliness. Do I jack off yet again? Or do I just blow myself up and get it over with?
  • Five Fathoms - this was inspired by the chorus "I wanna love more, (there's a river in my head)." To me she's weak and desperate to love anyone.
  • Temperamental - this one represents all the voices in your head telling you to leave a relationship, yet you're still drawn to the man in black no matter how awful he is.
  • Future of the Future - to me she's painted up pretty, but shattered inside.
  • Lullaby of Clubland - my take on the loneliness of gay clubbing.
  • Mirrorball v2 - lifeless.
  • Missing - waiting for that perfect person who's never coming back.
  • No Difference - confusion & uncertainty. This is what happens when apathy takes over and you no longer take an interest in your life.
  • Only Living Boy in New York - again the club scene. Standing by yourself by the disco ball in room full of people.
  • Wrong - self restraint, holding yourself back. Also speaks of my experience of being surrounded by people who, instead of helping, would look right past me if I needed help or was hurting myself.
Come to think of it, the title's ironic in that these are all reflections of me.