Wednesday, September 07, 2005

So what do you listen to?

I got asked the other day what kind of music I listen to.  That’s a rather loaded question, and one not easily answered. I can say that I don’t listen to country, Celine Dion, most adult contemporary, classical (though I do appreciate it), rap, most R&B, reggae, Hip Hop, most (but not all) rock and alternative (though again, I can definitely appreciate the classics), HI NRG Euro dance crap, trance, ambient and 99% of what’s incessantly played on the radio. Sorry Britney, but you’ve never earned a penny from me.

What do I listen to?  Well here’s a sample from my collection:

  • Extensive New Order, Pet Shop Boys and Erasure singles, remixes, LP’s and CD’s (I’m gay, remember?)

  • Lots of 80’s collections and LP’s from that phase a number of years ago.

  • A little Depeche Mode.

  • Some disco discs here and there.

  • Hed Kandi – still loving house music after all these years

  • The Seduction of Claude Debussy by The Art of Noise – an absolutely brilliant disc chronicling and interpreting Debussy’s life and work from an absolutely brilliant band.

  • A number of other Dance club compilations.

  • Bjork

  • Electro CD’s – Miss Kittin, Goldfrapp, Tiga, Benni Benassi, plus a few compilation CD’s

  • Mark Almond/Soft Cell

  • Everything But the Girl

  • A few jazz discs here and there

  • Scissor Sisters

  • Paul Anka – Rock Swings

  • A growing number of Fabric and Fabriclive compilation CD’s. These tend to be on the more obscure side.  Mostly unknown, harsh, dark electro put together by a different DJ every month. They can vary wildly from time to time depending on the DJ.

  • Dimitri from Paris

  • Brazilectro – I love Brazilian influenced music, even though I can’t understand a word of it.

  • Café Del Mar

  • Beck

  • French electronica along the lines of Air, Rinocerose and Cassius

  • The Beautiful South

  • Towa Tei (the Japanese guy from Dee- Lite, another favourite)

Now how in the hell do I sum that up for when the next person asks me?