Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Scissor Mixers

I've always been a fan of remixes. Over the years I have spent too much money on overpriced CD singles and vinyl to hear different mixes of my favourite songs. So I was excited to discover the Scissor Sisters Remixed EP.

Well, pardon the irony, but it's really nothing to write home about. Just 2 mixes of Filthy/Gorgeous, 4 mixes of Comfortably Numb, and 2 b-sides -The Skins, and 2 mixes of Electrobix.

The thing I love most about Filthy/Gorgeous is the pseudo disco baseline. Why anyone thought it was a good idea to replace that with a barebones rock drum track and heavy guitar (a la ZZ Top) is beyond me. The other version is just an extended mix - just an extra verse at the end.

I've also been a fan of Tiga over the years (minus the Sunglasses at Night remake), so I was looking forward to his version of Comfortably Numb. Blech. Boring. The part that really got me was after Jake sings "relax" and then Tiga samples himself singing "don't do it."

If you're going to do something that cheesy, you really should go all the way and sample Frankie at least. Sheesh.
The other mixes aren't anything special either.

Well, the only saving grace to the EP is the Hungry Wives Remix of Electrobix. A great electro-industrial track. Probably the only one that will make it to my iPod.

I wouldn't bother picking up this disc if you see it - unless it's $4.99 or something.

On another note, I got the new Erasure CD, Nightbird. Definitely one the best albums they've put out since Chorus in '91. That's a long time. They really took a downward slide after the Phantasmagorical concert (let's just pretend that the Loveboat album didn't really happen).

Anyways, Nightbird has been getting a lot of press lately, and it's well deserved. It's an album that you have to listen to 3-4 times before it starts to grow on you, but I've always found those are the ones that I keep going back to year after year. If you're a fan, you need to pick this one up.

I also bought tix to see the tour in Las Vegas. Just have to remember to pack my Depends so I won't have to leave the slot machines.