Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Zip Zap Zoup

No cigarettes today. Hooray for me.

However, I got my eye lasered again. I had laser eye surgery 4 years ago (only in one eye), and I ended up developing the dreaded nightglare. But it was worth it. I learned to live with it (it's more annoying than anything) and enjoyed the freedom of waking up and being able to see the clock (and who's next to me), no worries at the beach, no fogging in cold weather etc etc.

Lately, my night vision has been annoying me. I'm finding that my perception at night is getting worse. It's never been great, but it's getting to the point where I am not liking driving at night. It's really strange, being able to see something clearly, yet not knowing exactly where it is.

This definitely is not a side effect of the surgery. Like I said, it's always been somewhat of a problem. It was impossible for me to drive at night with contacts - I couldn't tell what stoplight was where, or how far away cars and stoplights were. Needless to say contacts didn't last long. The nightglare is just adding to the problem.

So 4 years later, the technology and lasers have improved to the point where they are now able to treat night vision. Laser eye surgery is a weird procedure. They numb your eye, then stick this contraption under you eyelids so you can't blink (a la Clockwork Orange), then they peel back a flap of your eye, zap zap zap, put the flat back, put a contact in and you're done. Of course there are numerous eye drops to be used for the next week to help the healing process.

In the end, there is no guarantee that this will work, or if it does, how much it will work, but it was worth a shot. At least I can already tell that my vision is as good as ever (20/15 or 15/20, whichever is better - I always get the order mixed up). I should know about the night vision soon, it can take a while to completely heal. Things are still a little blurry right now. But not blurry enough to not know that Q's cigarettes are on the coffee table. God give me strength.