Friday, April 21, 2006

Bibliotheque!!!

There seemed to be a lot of French and cursing (Dan) on my blog yesterday, thanks in part to Dominion. Makes me miss the language. After going through French Immersion in school, followed by a Computer Science degree taught primarily in french at Glendon College (a campus of York U), I don't get much of an opportunity to speak or hear it anymore. As a result it's getting pretty rusty. Q and I spent a week at a chalet in Mont Tremblant one summer, which involved a lot of trips into Quebec City. By the end of the trip I was finally getting back into the groove and feeling much more comfortable conversing with people.

Of course my first task was to learn how to order a large coffee with 2 creme and 2 sweetener at Tim Hortons for Q. The first part was no problem, but figuring out and remembering the translation for "sweetener" was another story. Apparently it's something like "succarille" or close to it anyways. I gave the girls at the counter quite a kick trying to repeat and remember that word - every single day. Of course it didn't dawn on me until afterwards that I could have just said "Deux Sugar Twin" and have been done with it. But that wouldn't have been nearly as much fun.

I know that I could have gotten away with speaking English, but when I'm away in another country - err, province - I like to experience the culture and language as much as possible.

Speaking of which, I think I'll book a trip to Montreal soon. It's been a while since I was last there (that's another story all together), but I'm ready to go back and have fun. You Montrealers do know how to enjoy yourselves in the summer. Guess it's to make up for the pubes-freezing winters.