Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Ghosts from the Past

I met up with a friend of mine tonight who I hadn’t seen in almost a year. We had a bit of a falling out last year. We’ve been friends for 10 years, and have seen each other through plenty of ups and downs. She was seeing a total ass at the time, who was doing nothing for her, and she was making poor life choices. I had finally had enough of her complaining, and having gotten out of a bad relationship myself, couldn’t stand to see her getting wrapped up in some complete and total loser. So I told her so. I put her situation into perspective and showed her what it looked like from a third party. I gave her a good dose of reality, and I’m not one to bullshit or sugar coat things either – I tell it like it is. She didn’t like it, and wasn’t ready to hear it. I left the conversation with the ball in her court. She could call me again when she’d thought about our conversation. She never did. Until now.

She’s no longer with the jerk (but still secretly hung up on him I think), and has done a whole lot of soul searching since then. She’s also lost a lot of weight - way too much weight. When I last saw her, she was overweight, but slowly losing it. Being that big was not natural for her, and it was good to finally see the pounds sliding off. However, she’s half the size of when I last saw her. Her face is long, cheeks almost sunken, no boobs left at all, thin fingers, and a dry, pasty complexion.  If you were able to see her aura, it would be dim.

She claims that she doesn’t know why she’s rapidly losing weight, that she’s gone for numerous tests but nothing has come up.  Granted she has had her share of health problems over the years, and there may be a contributing physical reason, but that’s not it. She looks borderline anorexic.  She told me that she works out now, but works 11 – 13 hour days and goes on 4 hours of sleep on average, and has a ton of energy.

I’m worried. I think she has some sort of disorder and doesn’t realize it. Maybe it’s anorexia, or something else, but something just isn’t right.

I’m glad she called. I’m not quick to turn someone away who is reaching out. But I have a bad feeling. A very bad feeling in the pit of my stomach like I’ve never had before.

And I don’t like it at all.