Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Snippets

While waiting in line for my tea this morning, I overheard the conversation of the 2 men in front of me discussing the devistation in New Orleans:

"I wonder if Canada is going to send down a care package?"

"Why would they do that? The States doesn't need it."

"Really? I just thought that with all of the destuction caused by the tsunami and all the help that went there, that countries would do the same for New Orleans."

"Nah, the States doesn't need anything like that. They've got enough money to take care of themselves."

I found this very interesting, and am left wondering if anyone will come to their aid. I don't think many will. The USA comes across as a power hungry, rich country that is strong enough to spend billions of dollars on a long, drawn out, botched-up war, so why should they need money? Not to mention the scores of countries that they've pissed off over the years probably aren't too keen to help either.

The truth is, the country is bleeding money out GWB's halo-ringed ass. New Orleans, Mobile, Biloxi and all the other storm ravaged cities in between need all the help they can get. I hope it comes. There can never be too many bottles of water, boxes of food, blankets and clothes for all the people left homeless in the aftermath. I saw an interview this morning with a man who lost his wife. They and their 2 children were on the roof of the house when the waters split it in half. The man was holding on to his wife's hand, and the last thing she said was "You can't hold me much longer. Take care of the children" and then she was gone. Heart wrenching. Those kids deserve a chance at life and I hope Canada plays a part in making that happen.