Thursday, June 16, 2005

I was almost a terrorist once

When Q and I flew down to Las Vegas, I packed all of my camera equipment into my carry on. This included both my digital camera, and my vintage 3-D 35mm camera and flash circa 1980. About halfway through the flight, I decided to get some muchies out of my knapsack.

As I reached into the back of the compartment, I noticed that it was warm there. When I touched my knapsack, it was really warm. Thinking that there might be some sort of heating ducts or something there, I ran my hand around the area where my bag had been. Curiously, the compartment was only warm in the spot where the bag had been. It was when I reached into the bag to grab some chips, that I noticed something was very wrong.

The bag was very, very warm. All the heat was coming from something inside. Trying to act as incospicuous as possible, I felt around until I touched something hot. I'm talking couldn't hold it for more than a few seconds hot. It was the 35mm flash. Somehow something had hit it and turned the switch to ON and it was overheating. I quickly opened the battery compartment and emptied the batteries out. Crisis averted and no one was any the wiser, except for Q of course. Oh and I think the lady sitting in front of us heard too.

But thanks to me the day was saved, and we all made it to Vegas safely to gamble our savings away.

Although, if there had been a problem, I would have been resposible for the US banning all devices that use batteries - including those pocket dildos women (and some men) keep in their purses.

Homeland security is probably going to read this and interrogate me anyways.